Saturday, February 16, 2013

Filippo Pozzato Wins Trofeo Laigueglia


Filippo Pozzato chose "his" Trofeo Laigueglia (50° edition) as his first victory since he joined Team Lampre-Merida; it was his third victory in this race. It is also the first major victory for Taiwanese bike sponsor Merida. Completing the podium were Francesco Reda (Androni Venezuela) and Mauro Santambrogio (Vini Fantini).

The Lampre-Merida team, with Pozzato, Ulissi, Cunego and Pietropolli, were able to not worry about a long breakaway of five riders. With 50 km to go the breakaway was neutralized. In the final km Ulissi and Pozzato followed the attack by Santambrogio, then Ulissi launched Pozzato's sprint to victory.

"I really care about  Laigueglia, so I'm very satisfied with this victory," said Pozzato. "My condition was good and I knew I could perform a great race. In addition, I received perfect support from my teammates. I got scared when Chaves crashed and hit my bike forcing me to change it but everything turned out well."

Next in Pozzato's program for this season: Omloop het Nieuwsblad, Kuurne - Brussel - Kuurne, Giro del Lazio (perhaps a new name will be announced Monday), Tirreno - Adriatico, Milano - Sanremo, E3 Harelbeke, Gent - Wevelgem, Tour of Flanders, Paris - Roubaix, Tour of Turkey, and Giro d'Italia. His main objectives are Milano - Sanremo and the northern classics.

Related story:
Only God Can Judge Me

Photo: Bettini

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column. 

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com.  There are now more than 2,700 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.


No comments:

Post a Comment