Monday, October 1, 2012

Rider Reactions to 2013 Giro d'Italia

Ryder Hesjedal, this year's winner: "Someone was saying it would be an easier Giro this year but I don’t see it. It looks amazing, I’m ready to start preparing already. It will be an honor to wear number 1!"

Joaquim Rodriguez, second in this year's Giro and winner of Saturday's Il Lombardia: "My program is to ride it. I understand it will be important to make a difference in the mountains because with such a long time trial (stage 8, 55.5 km) I will certainly lose a lot of time but it's a ride that I like and I'm ready."

Ivan Baso, winner of the 2006 and 2010 Giro d'Italia: "It's a beautiful, grand, Giro. The rider for the overall can’t look at one stage. He has to see all the map, has to stay all day concentrated on the race. That is the only way to try to win the Giro d’Italia.”

Vincenzo Nibali, whose best win todate has been the 2010 Vuelta a Espana: "The final week is very hard"

Alberto Contador, winner of the 2008 and 2011 Giro d'Italia (his victory stripped for the latter): "The course seems balanced and I like the novelty of a long time trial stage of 55 km. Once again the Giro is characterized by very hard last week. The course suits my characteristics but I do not know if it will be part of my program. Now, I'll allow myself a few weeks of vacation then we'll start thinking about it and make the necessary assessments."

Race director Michele Acquarone: "Our guiding principle is that the great champions must be respected, and every champion must be given space to express himself. I think that we’ve put together a very balanced route."

More quotes here:



Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome.

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,600 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment