Sunday, April 22, 2007

Richard Sachs S&S Build Update

The wheels (!) are in motion.


I stopped in at FONTANA to drop off the Campagnolo Record 36 hole hubs. The wheels will be built-up with Mavic Open Pro rims in silver and black DT Swiss spokes and ergal nipples. Should be fairly light and strong. I thought I'd go with the black spokes so the wheels would be a little different (+they'll look good with another "project" bike that is in the wings).


Then it was to the Gruppo 1 bike shop sponsor, "La bice e.....". They will be installing the Campagnolo Centaur gruppo. I brought along the cable splitters, old style Cinelli stem (the bike has a threaded steerer), Cinelli deep bend handlebars, Chris King headset, and Richard Sachs handlebar tape. I also brought along photos of the where and hows of the cable splitter installations as S&S couplers are virtually unheard of in Italy.

I like riding different bikes. As your ride more, and the more bikes you ride, you begin to get a better understanding of how different each bike can be. I find it interesting and fascinating. Everyone speaks of the great ride quality of a Richard Sachs so I'm looking forward to finding out for myself. Plus, I thought it would be fun to be riding a great American framebuilder's work here in Italy. Come to think of it, it will be nice to ride it on my visit to Dario Pegoretti.

No comments:

Post a Comment