Friday, April 20, 2007

A Visit to Cicli Fontana




I combined an easy recovery ride today with a visit to Cicli Fontana in Domegliara di S. Ambrogio di Valpolicella (VR) where I dropped off my Campagnolo hubs for my custom wheel build.


It's a very impressive shop. In fact, it's one of the few that I've seen in which the showroom is smaller than where the mechanics work. They support quite a number of local teams and have a wide variety of high end products on hand such as Zipp and Corima wheels, LOOK frames, and of course their own FONTANA frames. People are always streaming in and out.


The shop was founded by Luigi Fontana, in 1983 I believe. His wife and two sons work there; his son Michele will be building my wheels. And there are a number of other mechanics as well.

From a bike perspective Fontana's greatest claim to fame is that Damiano Cunego won the 1999 Under-21 World Championship on a Fontana. They have his bike in the shop.


I've been told there are 25 bike shops in Verona province; I still have many of these to visit.

Photos: Entrance to Cicli Fontana, Luigi Fontana, Cunego winning the World Championship, Cicli Fontana location

No comments:

Post a Comment