Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Mystique of CAMPAGNOLO



I was just riding around, taking it easy, soaking in the Fall colors when two teenage riders snuck up on me on their tandem. An old, beat-up tandem. As they passed me they were pedalling their 50 pound beast furiously. I decided not to chase them until they were way out of sight.


With each succeeding roller I would gain ground; they virtually ground to a stop on every uphill and I wasn't loosing too much time on the downhills. When I passed them one of them said, "It's no use, he's riding Campagnolo!"

Such is the mystique of Campagnolo.


Which brings me to the just received book, the anniversary "Campagnolo, 75 Years of Cycling Passion". I'm enjoying reading it, and recommend it. Early on it discusses how Tullio Campagnolo came to invent the wheel quick release lever system.


In the 1920s "there remained the fact that to change gears the rider had to get off the bike, release the rear wheel by twisting the wingnuts of the hub, spin the wheel around, then remount it, fitting the chain to the sprocket and then redoing the wingnuts...."

Campagnolo,"a promising cyclist", found himself in a race in 1927 on the Croce d'Aune in the snow. "I was paralyzed by the cold. Working on the nuts, my hands began to bleed because the wheel would not come off. When I got home, defeated and discouraged, I began to think about what was to become the most perfect derailleur in the world."

"His quick release hub was the first milestone in an authentic technological revolution."
Photos: Valentino Campagnolo (left) and Vittorio Adorni holding a copy of the book during its official presentation at the EICMA Bike Show in Milan, 2008; book cover

4 comments:

  1. Say Angelo - ran into your blog while trying to dig up info on cycling around Vincenza, will be there for about a week end of the month. Any ideas on where to get good info on riding routes and a shop that would rent decent road bikes? You can reach me at gregggor -at - gmail.

    thanks in advance,

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. In general it can be difficult to find a bike to rent but it is possible. Like in the USA, if you know the routes it's a better experience. With all that in mind I suggest you contact Cicli Liotto in Vicenza. They have been around since 1922, sponsor a granfondo team, etc. So, I think they would PERHAPS have some extra road bikes around and be able to hook you up for some rides, or with riders, and certainly could advise you on routes.


    info@liotto.com
    Cicli Liotto Gino & Figli S.N.C.
    Via Ragazzi Del '99,42
    36100 Vicenza

    Tel.: (+39) 0444507641

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one question. You write: "In the 1920s "there remained the fact that to change gears the rider had to get off the bike, release the rear wheel by twisting the wingnuts of the hub, spin the wheel around, then remount it, fitting the chain to the sprocket and then redoing the wingnuts...." I have read much the same thing on a number of other websites.

    But when I went to the Sturmey-Archer website, it seems that they have been making 2 and 3 speed internally geared hubs, which didn't require dismounting from the bike or changing the wheel, since about 1902. Why didn't any racing cyclists use those hubs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous: That's a good question. I'm told that Goss Green did use S-A hubs. I'm left wondering if it was a difference in approach by continental Europeans vs. English riders.

    ReplyDelete