Saturday, October 15, 2011

Swiss Oliver Zaugg Wins Giro di Lombardia



Swiss rider Oliver Zaugg (Team Leopard-Trek) has won a surprise victory at the Giro di Lombardia (now named Il Lombardia) in 6h 20’ 02” at average 38,049 Km/h. Daniel Martin (Team Garmin-Cervelo) was 2nd and Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Team Katusha) was 3rd. The first Italian to finish was Ivan Basso in 4th followed by Domenico Pozzovivo (Colnago-CSF Inox) who was 6th.

"It was a surprise for me and for the team," said Zaugg. "I had a chance and I was able to gain the maximum result. I still cannot believe what I did. Honestly, I had this attack in mind since last week, I rode very well but I was also lucky to grab this opportunity of a lifetime. Maybe something will change in the way I race because of this success, it surely gives me the conviction to win many more races. I hope so!".

The race will also be remembered as the first and last classics race win for Leopard Trek.

Vicenzo Nibali (Liquigas-Cannondale) had the tifosi cheering him on for an Italian victory on the slopes of the Madonna di Ghisallo as he launched an attack. At the top he was by himself with a lead of 1'40". Nibali was finally caught 35 km later on the early slopes of the final climb of Villa Vergano. Zaugg went on to win with a fierce attack on the climb. Nibali finished 40th, 7 minutes down.


Team Lampre-ISD best finish came from their first season Polish rider Przemyslaw Niemiec who came in 5th, same time as Basso, at 8" to the winner Zaugg. Damiano Cunego, the last Italian winner of the race in 2008, was 27th.

The Gazzetta dello Sport one minute summary (in Italian, promotion precedes video):

Note: World Champion Mark Cavendish did not start.

Top 10:
1 Oliver Zaugg (Swi) Leopard - Trek 6:20:02
2 Daniel Martin (Irl) Team Garmin - Cervelo 0:00:08
3 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha Team
4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas - Cannondale
5 Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre - ISD
6 Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Colnago - CSF Inox
7 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Farnese Vini - Neri Sottoli 0:00:16
8 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma - Lotto
9 Carlos A. Betancur Gomez (Col) Acqua & Sapone
10 Riccardo Chiarini (Ita) Androni Giocattoli - C.I.P.I.


Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,100 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment