Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pavarotti's " Nessun Dorma" vs. Mortensen's "Beautiful Italy"

Perhaps the correct title should be "How Much Has Changed from the 1980s to 2012"?

My thanks to Larry and Heather, CycleItalia, for mentioning an old promo for the Giro which featured Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma with a rider riding off into heaven. The promo, from the 1980s, does live on on youtube:



If you missed the blog entry from Thursday, this is official music video of the 2012 Giro d'Italia, "Beautiful Italy", sung by Danish jazz singer Malene Mortensen:


Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,200 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a generational thing? Old farts like Larry still get a tear in the eye watching the old clip. We have it on a DVD copied from a VHS tape distributed years ago by the Italian Trade Commission at one of the bike trade shows. He still digs it out now and then as for him it was the "golden age of cycling" which centered on Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry & Heather - I like the fact you followed up my comment on another site about using Nessun Dorma for the Giro - and so that clip you've posted is just magical. Exactly what I meant in my post over at Inner Ring (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops! Sorry Angelo! The original post was on ICJ all along! Easily the best cycling blog out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Italian Cycling Journal is usually my "first stop" on the 'net. Angel(o) so often has something interesting and positive here which makes it easier to wade through other cycling sites and blogs so often filled with bad news and vitriolic comments. Buon lavoro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could not make it through the whole 2012 video. This is a Classic Race! Not some dance club night out. I guess I'm old too.

    ReplyDelete