In the midst of the Tour de France, which virtually sucks the air out all other cycling news, we had the start today of the most important women's stage race on the calendar: the 2013 Giro Rosa (the Women's Giro d'Italia which has been raced previously under the names of GiroDonne, and Giro d’Italia Femminile). The stage race, which began today, will end on 7 July, passing through the regions of Puglia, Campania, Molise, Marche, Liguria, Piemonte and Lombardia.
"You can't understand how happy I am!", said Wild. "I'm back from one month out of racing because I injured my left collarbone, I'm really satisfied with this good result. I couldn't ask more of myself."
"I lost by an inch but I'm really proud to wear the maglia rosa again", commented Vos who has won the previous two editions. "We are only at the beginning of the race, I'm getting in shape so I hope to keep the jersey until the end in Cremona."
The new Italian national champion, Dalia Muccioli (BePink) at the start:
1. Wild Kirsten (Nazionale Olanda) km 117,800 in 2h53'55" average speed 40,640 km/h
2. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
3. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) s.t.
4. Janeliunaite Edita (Pasta Zara Cogeas) s.t.
5. Kozonchuk Oxana (Rusvelo) s.t.
6. Van Vleuten Annemiek (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
7. Shelly Olds (Team Tibco To the top) s.t.
8. Hall Lauren (Nazionale Usa) s.t.
9. Kitchen Lauren (Wiggle Honda) s.t.
10. Trevisi Anna (Vaiano Fondriest) s.t.
1. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) 2h53'43"
2. Wild Kirsten (Nazionale Olanda) 2"
3. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) 8"
4. Visser Adrie (Boels Dolmans Cycling Team) 10"
5. Leth Julie (Hitec Products) 10"
PINK Derma Fresh, General Classification: Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
CYCLAMEN Selle Italia, Points Classification: Wild Kirsten (Nazionale Olanda)
GREEN Saugella, KOM Classification: Scandolara Valentina (MCipollini Giordana)
WHITE Algida, Young Classification: Leth Julie (Hitec Products)
BLUE Dama, Italian Classification: Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana)
Recap of the stages:
1a Tappa, 30/06/2013: Giovinazzo (Ba) – Margherita di Savoia (Bat) Km 123,8
2 a Tappa, 1/07/2013: Pontecagnano Faiano (Sa) – Pontecagnano Faiano (Sa) Km 99,6
3 a Tappa, 2/07/2013: Cerro al Volturno (Is) – Cerro al Volturno (Is) Km 111
4 a Tappa, 3/07/2013: Monte San Vito (An) – Castelfidardo (An) Km 137,2
5 a Tappa, 4/07/2013: Varazze (Sv) – Monte Beigua (Sv) Km 73,3
6 a Tappa, 5/07/2013: Terme Di Premia (Vco) – San Domenico (Vco) Km 121
7 a Tappa, 6/07/2013: Corbetta (Mi) – Corbetta (Mi) Km 120
8a Tappa, 7/07/2013: Cremona (Cr) individual TT of Km 16
on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email
when new content is added using the "Follow by
Email" button on the right side column. With
more than 2,900 stories in this blog the custom
search feature (right column) works best for finding
subjects in the blog. There is also a translate
button underneath the search button.
Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos,
touring, having a good time cycling in Italy,
Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always
welcome. Contact me at email@example.com.