In between riding a lot I've been catching up on reading some of the many Italian cycling magazines. One I enjoy reading is "CT Cicloturismo" which is mainly dedicated granfondos, training for granfondos, technical reviews of bikes, and bike maintenance among other things.
The October issue reported on the Friedrichshafen "Eurobike" show which was held in September. This show has replaced the Milan bike show as the largest in Europe. 34,280 visitors came to see the products of 868 exhibitors which were spread across 13 pavilions totalling 76,000 square meters.
CT identified the following as the trends for 2008:
1) carbon fiber will continue to be the top frame material preference
2) great progress will continue in the development of composites (mentioning the use of honeycomb structures)
3) the integrated seatpost (ISP) will be a "must"
4) the direction of the industry continues moving towards selling complete bikes
5) the list of vendors offering full carbon wheels will continue to grow
6) a 4th company, Microshift from Taiwan, will begin offering a complete gruppo (this in addition to Campagnolo, Shimano and SRAM)
7) power meters will become more accessible through lower pricing
8) bikes and accessories exclusively designed for women
Photo: the cover of the October CT Cicloturismo magazine