Tuesday, September 16, 2008

NJ: Musconetcong River Ride










Monday, September 15th: Sunday was a fairly spirited club ride so I thought about taking some time off the bike today. By afternoon the weather was just too gorgeous...cool with interesting clouds passing through. I decided to do any easy ride and learn something about the huge stone pillars in Changewater along the Musconetcong River. The Musconetcong River is approximately 44 mi (71 km) long and flows through the rural mountainous countryside of northwestern New Jersey.


I learned that the stone pillars, which are now covered with vegetation, supported a train trestle over the river named the "Changewater Trestle" which was completed in 1862 and remained in use until 1960. It served the Warren Railroad, which connected the Central Railroad of New Jersey and the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W) Railroad. I photographed three of the pillars.


Photos: historical markers in Changewater; an old postcard showing the trestle bridge; photos of 3 different pillars, the first showing the bridge location same as the postcard; Musconetcong River; and abandoned farmhouse; cloudy skies over cornfield.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just came across your photo/old postcard of the Changewater bridge and trestle. Can I ask where you got the postcard? Would you be willing to sell it? I live across the street from the bridge and would love to have this as a momento! -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria: I found the train trestle image on the internet. I think googling some of the railroad lines I mentioned will turn it up for you.

    ReplyDelete