Monday, March 29, 2010
Giro d’Italia per Bici d’Epoca
A series of events to promote Italian vintage cycling, this is the objective of the "Giro d’Italia per bici d’epoca" (Giro d'Italia for vintage bikes). The series is a result of a collaboration between the leaders and organizers of Italian vintage bike events. They met on March 14 to form the organizing committee and to undertake the creation of the regulations.
The "Giro d’Italia per bici d’epoca" will be a series of twelve events that will take place from 18 April to 10 October, 2010.
At the conclusion of the series trophies will be awarded to individuals and to one team (the basis of scoring system was not yet specified). Participants for the awards must enter at least four "ciclostoriche". The award ceremony will take place in Gaiole in Chianti October 2, 2010, during the L'Eroica.
The participation in the "Giro" is open only to amateur cyclists and collectors of vintage bikes of all types that were built before 1985. Bikes should have on-frame shifters (no modern day brake/shifters), external cables, and pedals with toe straps. Enrollment is open to cyclists of all ages and all nationalities. Riders must wear wool cycling shorts and jerseys in accordance with the period of the bicycle.
The leaders of the initiative, in order of participation, are: Loredano Petronici, Gianluca Ghiretti, Andrea Baldan, Federico Viola, Giuseppe Nardini, Diego Tambosi, Piero Ancillotti, Carlo Studlick, Rolando De Cecco, Marco Selleri and Alessandro Faggiani.
The events in the series are:
- 18 April, LA STORICA, Finale Ligure (Sv), http://www.lastorica.com/
- 02 May, L'INTRAMONTABILE, Ponte a Ema (Fi), http://www.ciclomuseo-bartali.it/
- 12 and 13 June, LA POLVEROSA, Monticelli Terme (Pr), www. lapolverosa.it
- 04 July, K2 ciclostorica, Udine
- 18 July, LE VALLI DELLA LANA, Pray (Bi), http://www.levallidellalana.com/
- 25 July, BARGA IN BICICLETTA, Barga (Lu), http://www.lastorica.com/
- 31 July and 1 August, L’ALPINA, Maso Spitz (Tn), http://www.alpinasport/
- 29 August, COPPI E BARTALI, Parita di Vinci (Pt)
- 4 and 5 September, VACA MORA, Schio (Vi), http://www.vacamora.it/
- 12 September, LA LEGGENDARIA, Buja (Ud), http://www.laleggendaria.it/
- 18 and 19 September, STRADE BIANCHE di ROMAGNA, Mordano (Bo), http://www.stradebianchediromagna.it/
- 3 October, L’EROICA, Gaiole in Chianti (Si), http://www.eroica.it/
- 10 October, L’EPICA San Nicolò (Pc), http://www.granfondoepica.it/
I'll publish more information as I learn of it.
Photo: riders at L'Eroica
Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondo, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are very welcome. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. There are more than 1,300 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog and there is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.