Sunday, July 4, 2010

2010 Tour de France, Stage 1 to Petacchi


After a nervous run into the final sprint, characterized by a series of crashes, it was Alessandro Petacchi (Lampre-Farnese Vini) that was able to exploit the situation and win the stage in Brussels. Sprinters Mark Cavendish (HTC-Columbia) and Oscar Freire (Rabobank) were among those that crashed.

It is Petacchi's 5th stage win in the Tour, having won four stages in 2003. Petacchi also won the green points jersey.

“I’m back at the Tour de France and I immediately win a stage: a perfect life!," Petacchi commented. "It was a special finale. In the last turn, everybody came in fast and nobody wanted to brake, so there was a crash and a lot of confusion. I did a very risky sprint. I attacked from far out, despite the head wind and the false-flat road. I think I've done a great sprint. I'm not sure that Cavendish would have beat me if he'd been there at the end because I've really done a great sprint."

Cancellara remains in yellow.

Stage 1 results:
1 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 5:09:38
2 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Team HTC - Columbia
3 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
4 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Team Katusha
5 Matthieu Ladagnous (Fra) Française des Jeux

Photo: Sirotti

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are very welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 1,400 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog and there is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment