Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Strange Reason for a Fast Ride


With rain in the forecast for the next two days I really wanted to make today's, Tuesday, San Zeno group ride. The only problem was that friends were finally, after several months of waiting, getting their high speed internet connection installed today. There was a possibility I might be needed to bridge the language gap.


The ride to Torri del Benaco and the climb to Albisano was spirited. We swooped down to Garda and stopped for a quick espresso. Just as we were departing for the return to Verona my cell phone rang. The Italia Telecom guy needed me. I said, "I'll be there in one hour." That meant that I really needed to haul.


The return back to Verona is usually at a higher clip than the outgoing leg. But, for me to make it in an hour we really had to be moving. I hadn't said anything to the group so everyone was kind of off-guard when I started to constantly attack and go off the front....trying to keep the pace way up there. Now, this is a lot different than my typical wheel-sucking ways.


It was odd, the harder I went the better I felt. To make a long story short, it took 55 minutes from Garda to the center of Verona. That was ffffffast! My buddies were looking at me like I was crazy.


Now I'll go soak in the bathtub.....


Photo: I know I'm home when I roll into Piazza Bra past the Roman coliseum

No comments:

Post a Comment