Thursday, May 3, 2012

Giro d'Italia: The Favorites Talk About Their Ambitions

At a press conference today in Herning, Denmark, preceding the 2012 Giro d'Italia, the favorites spoke about their ambitions:

MICHELE SCARPONI: "This year I see a good number of riders in contention for victory or, at least, to get on the podium. I think the race, especially in the early days, will be quite difficult to control. I'm feel fine and my condition is improving. I think my teammate Cunego is very good and I definitely do not see him as a rival: in two we will have an advantage over our opponents."

THOR HUSHOVD: "My season to date did not go as hoped. At Milan-Sanremo I was sick, I fell in Paris-Roubaix and I lost the race. I am very motivated to do well in this tour and I hope to win my first race in the BMC jersey. I am particularly focused on the first three stages here in Denmark because for me it's like being at home."

FRANK SCHLECK: "When my managers called me to tell me that I would do the Giro I was at the park with my daughter. I am happy to be here even though at the time I was a little surprised but after seeing the  race course I knew it could be a good opportunity. After the one day classics I stopped riding for a week so in the early days of the Giro it may be hard to find my rhythm but this may allow me to be fresher at the end."

IVAN BASSO: "Two crashes in two weeks have cost me important races. In any case, I have worked well in the last 40 days. I'm 34 and I have great experience. We will see, step by step, but I'm sure we can fight for success. My team is ready and I have great faith in my teammates."

JOHN GADRET: "I was not among the favorites last year but I proved I can do well. I'll try to do something similar or even better. The last week of racing is very difficult but it's the riders that make the race. I think the Stelvio will decide the race this year."

JOAQUIN RODRIGUEZ: "In Spain, everyone says that I am the great favorite of the Giro d'Italia. I do not think honestly that there is a single favorite, but there are many riders who can win, including a few surprises. The final week will decide the race. The problem could be the wind: I do not like but I'm not afraid of it."

ROMAN KREUZIGER: "I'm fine. Since 2008 I have always improved every year. I have not won a major stage race of three weeks but I think I'm on the right track. My season is going well: I had a good Tirreno-Adriatico, a good Giro del Trentino and a Romandie. We'll see if this will be my year."

Giro d'Italia start: this Saturday, May 5th.

The official music video of the 2012 Giro d'Italia, "Beautiful Italy", sung by Danish jazz singer Malene Mortensen:

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at There are more than 2,400 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page .

No comments:

Post a Comment