Thursday, May 3, 2012

Giro d'Italia: The Favorites Talk About Their Ambitions


At a press conference today in Herning, Denmark, preceding the 2012 Giro d'Italia, the favorites spoke about their ambitions:

MICHELE SCARPONI: "This year I see a good number of riders in contention for victory or, at least, to get on the podium. I think the race, especially in the early days, will be quite difficult to control. I'm feel fine and my condition is improving. I think my teammate Cunego is very good and I definitely do not see him as a rival: in two we will have an advantage over our opponents."

THOR HUSHOVD: "My season to date did not go as hoped. At Milan-Sanremo I was sick, I fell in Paris-Roubaix and I lost the race. I am very motivated to do well in this tour and I hope to win my first race in the BMC jersey. I am particularly focused on the first three stages here in Denmark because for me it's like being at home."

FRANK SCHLECK: "When my managers called me to tell me that I would do the Giro I was at the park with my daughter. I am happy to be here even though at the time I was a little surprised but after seeing the  race course I knew it could be a good opportunity. After the one day classics I stopped riding for a week so in the early days of the Giro it may be hard to find my rhythm but this may allow me to be fresher at the end."

IVAN BASSO: "Two crashes in two weeks have cost me important races. In any case, I have worked well in the last 40 days. I'm 34 and I have great experience. We will see, step by step, but I'm sure we can fight for success. My team is ready and I have great faith in my teammates."

JOHN GADRET: "I was not among the favorites last year but I proved I can do well. I'll try to do something similar or even better. The last week of racing is very difficult but it's the riders that make the race. I think the Stelvio will decide the race this year."

JOAQUIN RODRIGUEZ: "In Spain, everyone says that I am the great favorite of the Giro d'Italia. I do not think honestly that there is a single favorite, but there are many riders who can win, including a few surprises. The final week will decide the race. The problem could be the wind: I do not like but I'm not afraid of it."

ROMAN KREUZIGER: "I'm fine. Since 2008 I have always improved every year. I have not won a major stage race of three weeks but I think I'm on the right track. My season is going well: I had a good Tirreno-Adriatico, a good Giro del Trentino and a Romandie. We'll see if this will be my year."

Giro d'Italia start: this Saturday, May 5th.

The official music video of the 2012 Giro d'Italia, "Beautiful Italy", sung by Danish jazz singer Malene Mortensen:


Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,400 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page .

No comments:

Post a Comment