Tuesday, May 18, 2010

2010 Giro d'Italia, Stage 10 Results


Bitonti, 18 May 2010 - Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Transitions) won his second stage victory of the Giro in winning the 230 km stage from Avellino to Bitonto. The 25 year old racer also consolidated his lead in the points classification.

"I have the strongest team in the world for leading me out, it makes it easier for winning. I'm confident in my guys," said Farrar. "The last kilometre was very dangerous with curves and the road getting narrower. I had a good position for going out of the wheels at the last moment. Such a slight uphill finish was perfect for me; it's not me but Julian Dean who did something extraordinary. I was going to let him win but I saw Sabatini (Liquigas-Doimo) who was coming behind me and I had to keep the win in the team."

There were no changes in the top 10 GC.

Tomorrow will be the longest stage of this year's Giro. The stage will begin in Lucera and will finish 262 km later in L'Aquila. L'Aquila was hit by the earthquake of April, 2009.

Top 10 GC after stage 10:
1 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana 38:59:00
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team -0:01:12
3 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:33
4 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Doimo 0:01:51
5 Marco Pinotti (Ita) Team HTC - Columbia 0:02:17
6 Richie Porte (Aus) Team Saxo Bank 0:02:26
7 Vladimir Karpets (Rus) Team Katusha 0:02:34
8 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone 0:02:47
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini 0:03:08
10 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Androni Giocattoli 0:03:09

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are very welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 1,400 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog and there is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment