Monday, April 1, 2013

2013 Tour of Flanders, Results


A vicious attack by Fabian Cancellara on the final pass of the Paterberg that left Peter Sagan behind put hin the winning position as he time trialed to Oudenaarde to claim his second Tour of Flanders victory. Finishing 2nd and 3rd were Peter Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cyclin) at 0:01:27 and Jurgen Roelandts (Lotto Belisol) at 0:01:29.

“This was an amazing team job, " said Cancellara. "Everyone was against us and we just stayed focused. We came on the Oude Kwaremont for the last time and Gregy Rast said everyone looked tired, so I tried to do the first selection there. Peter (Sagan) and I came up to Roelandts then and I knew I had to go again to get away from Peter. It happened like we’ve been planning for months. Hard work from me and the team and sacrificing time with our families. I can count on two hands the number of days I’ve been home this winter. It hasn’t been easy for my wife and kids but these are the hard choices we make. My career won’t last forever so it’s important to pick moments to enjoy. This victory is for my family and team. They gave me so much support. And for the fans – it was a perfect day. My second win in Flanders has been exceptional. I will relax now and recover from this effort and see what happens next week.”

Peter Sagan said, "“Today’s second place is a great result. I didn’t suffer any problems and I was able to do my best to stay in the front of the race. Cancellara was simply the strongest today. I couldn’t do more than this. I have understood I can win the ‘Ronde’. I’m 23 years old, with many years in front of me to take it”.

The best placed Italians, finishing in the first large group, were Daniel Oss (BMC Racing Team) in 12th at 0:01:39 and Oscar Gatto (Vini Fantini-Selle Italia) in 15th in same time. Gatto could have perhaps finished higher but suffered several flats.

Filippo Pozzato (Lampre-Merida) a favorite, finished 44th (4'56" to the winner Cancellara). "During the race I was quite good, even if I did not feel that I was at my best," said Pozzato after the race. "I tried hard to be in the head group, thanks to the support of my teammates, especially by Cimolai and Cattaneo. But, but on Paterberg I had a gear problem and so my hopes ended there."

The most discussed photo of the race has been this one for which Sagan has tweeted an apology:

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column. 

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com.  There are now more than 2,800 stories in this blog. The search feature to the upper right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button of the page. 


5 comments:

  1. Apologize for what?

    If someone needs to apologize it is those whom are easily offended.

    Go Peter!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologize for what? How about for sexual assault.
      Agreed, Peter is a great bike racer, but I'd be cheering louder if she turned around and decked him!

      Delete
  2. Sagan's apology: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201101264360053&set=vb.369505964466&type=2&theater

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maja Leye, the podiu girl in the incident, tweets: What happened on Sunday was wrong. I hope this never happens again. But I'm sure it won't...excuses accepted @petosagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry can't help but recall the last guy on the Cannondale team to bring sexual innuendo and outrageous behavior into the realm of publicity for his sponsors...is it in the blood of Cannondale or simply Sagan and Cipollini? Either way, they got more publicity than the winner and his sponsors did, more often than not.

    ReplyDelete