Monday, April 8, 2013

Third Cobblestone Trophy for Fabian Cancellara


After 254 km the 111th edition of Paris-Roubaix was decided in a duel on the concrete Roubaix velodrome between Fabian Cancellara (RadioShack Leopard) and Sep Vanmarcke (Blanco). Positioning himself behind Vanmarcke, Cancellara sprinted for the line, taking the win by a bike length and making it three Roubaix victories.

 “I was in another world of riding! I still don’t know how I did it. I was dropped and pretty far back but then I started to move up. This is a race you can never give up on until the end. I had to play with him in the end because I tried to go away but he followed so then I knew it was man against man. I’m happy for the team and for me. Now I look forward to rest and a holiday. Mission accomplished,” said Cancellara. "It’s amazing having a third victory. When I see how in this race everyone was against our team, against me, I just had to do a selection. The team came into a little bit of difficulty because we lost a few guys because of bad luck. But that’s Roubaix. It’s always nice to win alone but today there was pure fighting until the very end. I could not believe it when I crossed the finish line. My legs and my head wanted to bring me here."

The finish:


Top 10:
1 Fabian Cancellara (Swi) RadioShack Leopard 5:45:33
2 Sep Vanmarcke (Bel) Blanco Pro Cycling Team
3 Niki Terpstra (Ned) Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:31
4 Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) BMC Racing Team
5 Damien Gaudin (Fra) Team Europcar
6 Zdenek Stybar (Cze) Omega Pharma-Quick-Step Cycling Team 0:00:39
7 Sebastian Langeveld (Ned) Orica-GreenEdge
8 Juan Antonio Flecha Giannoni (Spa) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
9 Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Katusha 0:00:50
10 Sébastien Turgot (Fra) Team Europcar

Best Italian:
21 Luca Paolini (Ita) Katusha 0:01:00

The Many Faces of Hell:


Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN or receive an email when new content is added using the "Follow by Email" button on the right side column. 

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, racing, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com.  There are now more than 2,800 stories in this blog. The search feature to the upper right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button of the page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment