Wednesday, July 13, 2011

2011 Tour de France, Stage 10


Andre Greipel's move to Omega Pharma-Lotto paid off as he beat former teammate Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad) in a two-up sprint finish in Carmaux for his first Tour de France stage victory. Daniel Oss (Liquigas-Cannondale) led into the last turn with 170 meters to go with Cavendish on his wheel and Greipel following Cavendish. Cavendish made a long charge to the finish only to be caught and passed by Greipel at the line. Oss finished 6th.

Thomas Voeckler, who rode for a stage victory today, retained the yellow jersey on his yellow Colnago C59.



Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil) began the stage with 33 stitches, many bandages, and retained the polka dot jersey in another courageous effort. "I’m just very happy that I’m still in the jersey and still in the race. That was my goal for today – surviving", said Hoggerland. "I’ll look tonight at how my wounds are and then tomorrow again and I’ll try and survive. Then on the stage to Luz Ardiden, I hope I’ll be a little bit in good shape again. I’m not afraid for the mountains but if I have the same condition then as I do now, I think it will only be possible for me in the gruppetto. But to ride for this jersey I would need to be very good. I was happy with my feeling today, but it needs to be much better to keep the jersey until Paris."


Top 10 GC:
1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar 42:06:32
2 Luis Leon Sanchez Gil (Spa) Rabobank Cycling Team 0:01:49
3 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:02:26
4 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:29
5 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:02:37
6 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:02:38
7 Peter Velits (Svk) HTC-Highroad
8 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Team RadioShack 0:02:43
9 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 0:02:55
10 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek 0:03:08

The best placed Italians:
11 Ivan Basso (Liquigas-Cannondale) 0:03:36
12 Damiano Cunego (Lampre-ISD) 0:03:37

Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank Sungard) is 16th at 0:04:07

Photos: finish sprint by AFP; Hoogerland by Sirotti; Voeckler by Bettini

Follow on Twitter: ITALIANCYCJOURN

Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal about rides, granfondos, touring, having a good time cycling in Italy, Italian cycling history, etc. are always welcome. Contact me at veronaman@gmail.com. There are more than 2,000 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog. There is also a translate button at the bottom so you can translate each page.

No comments:

Post a Comment