Sunday, January 10, 2010
2009 Giro d'Italia Statistics and 2010 Start
The Centenary Giro d'Italia was unforgettable, right down to Denis Menchov's crash 800 meters from the finish which could have robbed him of victory. The cast of characters was impressive: Armstrong , Sastre, Menchov, Simoni, Basso, Di Luca (who was found to have doped during the race), Cunego, Garzelli, Leipheimer, Pellizotti, Petacchi and Cavendish.
Interesting statistics about the race:
• 300 million viewers around the world;
• 160 countries watched the Giro, of which 123 live;
• 1693 accredited media representatives (including 1296 journalists and 397 photographers);
• 1.866 million unique visitors to the Giro website;
• 33.8 million web page views (+44% compared to 2008),
Amsterdam will host the start of the 93 ° Giro d'Italy in the heart of the city. Two other Dutch cities, Utrecht and Middelburg, will host the next two stages before the race moves back to Italy.
Verona will be the setting of the final stage with a time trial.
Photos: from the 2009 Giro d'Italia
Stories for the Italian Cycling Journal welcome; contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. There are more than 1,100 stories in this blog. The search feature to the right works best for finding subjects in the blog and there is also a translate button at the bottom so that you can translate each page.